Thursday, March 24, 2011

Looking back....

Well, the time sure has gone by super fast. As of yesterday, I have been in Peru for a year. Yikes!! Its kind of wild to think about how much has gone on this past year, the people I’ve met, the new things I have encountered, the things I have learned, and so much more. There have been lots of fun times, but difficult times as well. Even though there are people from home I dearly miss, I am so thankful to have some dear friends here who have helped keep me sane during this adventure and always seem to keep me smiling. Over all, it’s been a pretty cool adventure and I’m looking forward to what’s ahead as well!!

Here are a few of my favorite firsts in the past year....
-The end results of studying Spanish for 6 months:Abby speaking Spanglish
-Friendships with other missionaries from many different countries
-Getting to know lots of other missionaries and hearing their stories and adventures in missions
-Becoming thoroughly acquainted with the food of Arequipa
-Huge meals at lunch instead of dinner
-Learning Salsa
-Becoming a big fan of some of the popular music here
-Experiencing the World Cup in a Latin American country
-Empanadas
-A visit to one of the Seven World Wonders-Machu Picchu
-Adopting a cat
-Setting up a house
-Living in a place surrounded by HUGE and beautiful mountains
-Eating couy(guinea pig)
-Tunas
-Being involved in a ministry I have been dreaming of working with for the past couple of years
-Playing with children as a part of my job
-Going to the campo(countryside) for ministry
-The absence of a 12 hour work day
-My height is now above average
-Introduction to Burn Notice
-Really cheap produce that tastes so good!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment