Sunday, January 24, 2010

The rain in Spain falls mainly on the plain


It has been a good week in Zaventem, Belgium.

This week has been full of some great teaching during our time in the classroom. We have been looking at different methods of evangelism, contextualizing the gospel, conflict management, culture shock, and so much more…. The one thing that stuck out to me this week was the idea that we need to evangelize Christians and disciple non Christians. When did the disciples become Christians? They did drop everything and become followers of Christ, but when did Thomas finally believe? As Christians, we need to preach the Gospel to ourselves. I can be so much like a Pharisee sometimes and need to keep hearing the gospel of grace every day. As I go to the mission field and enter into people’s lives, it is good for me to remember that coming toward Christ can be a long process, not a onetime decision.


Between all of the classroom time and various other assignments I have been plenty busy. I had an opportunity to go to a prayer meeting at the house of one of the members of the Korean church my team is involved with this month. The women were so gracious to open their homes to us, share their lives, and serve us some AMAZING Korean food. It was one hot mess in some ways…..there were so many different languages flying around... (Korean, Thai, Flemish, and English). It was inevitable that something would get lost in translation. Needless to say, there was lots of laughing going on. One thing I learned that day was that the Korean church is a group of believers that prays. The church has numerous house churches, prayer groups, and times for prayer devoted to North Korea. It’s been a great encouragement to see God at work in this church.


I’ve had a little bit of time for travel to wild exotic places. This weekend a group of went to Brazil. It was great!! It was a nice change of pace and much warmer!! Actually, a group of us went to Brugge (Brussel’s capital for chocolate and lace). It was a nice time away even if it was cold and rainy. Back to the classroom tomorrow…. I’m looking forward to another intense and exciting week and look forward to what God has to teach me before I head off to my final destination.


40 days to go……

No comments:

Post a Comment