Tuesday, January 19, 2010

If I owned a grocery store...


….I’d call it Abba’s Butt. It's been a good week here in Belgium. I have enjoyed spending some time in Zaventem (the village I'm staying in) and in Brussels as well. My team and I are enjoying getting to know the public transportation system and the ins and outs of the city. It’s been nice to have some time to walk around the village and city. I’m starting to become better acquainted with the community I’m living in, so it’s nice to be able to make my way to bakeries and other nice establishments….

We've been spending mornings in the classroom and the rest of the time putting some of what we have learned into practice. My favorite day last week was when we went into Brussels for an insane team exercise in which we collected a boatload of information about the city with the end goal of making a presentation for a fictional team of short term missionaries coming to Brussels.. We spend a good part of the day gathering information from the city and people in the city as well. We did everything from locating and visiting museums, locating the stock exchange, and major architectural landmarks to eating some great waffles, asking 20 what their favorite beer is, and all kinds of other stuff. I think my favorite stop on this excursion was a visit to a café/pub where we talked with the owner for a while. The point of the trip was a lesson in teamwork, but we did have lots of fun too!!

Sunday worship at the Korean church was quite interesting. I’ve never seen so many Koreans so boisterous (there was plenty of clapping during church). It was a good time of worship and thankfully we had a translator for the service. I’m looking forward to getting to know people in the church and attending their house churches as well.

Just thought I’d end on a positive note…. I’m happy to share some great news with you all….I found out today that a. I’m an optimist (thought you’d appreciate that Meg) and b. I’m emotionally stable(kind of…) I’m excited for this time of training to learn and be equipped to be more effective in sharing the gospel, loving others, and ministering to the lost. My prayer is that I will be a good listener and wait expectantly for what God has to teach me during my time here. Time is flying right on by. Before I know it I’ll be in Peru.

44 days to go….

1 comment: