Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Visitando.......

I think one of my favorite parts of being here so far is the opportunities I've had to go on home visits with some of the nurses at the clinic. It's given me a closer look into the lives and worlds of the people of San Jeronimo and hopefully opportunities to start to understand the people here. It's been a while since I've been in the homes of the poor and I was reminded of here and was reminded of that fact when I entered into my first home. As I sat in people's homes, the smells, the tiny one room houses with dirt floors, chickens and cuy everywhere, no electricity or running water, and so many other unbelievable things just grabbed me and reminded me what life is like for many people in the world. The stories I've heard are incredible and many are heartbreaking, but it's been amazing to see the nurses here minister to these people.

I quickly realized after my first couple of home visits that that the ministry at La Fuente is special. God is doing a great work here. To see the care these nurses have for the patients, their teaching, patience with everyone, spiritual support, encouragement, and offerings of food and other basic essential to living things has been amazing to me. It's been so cool to watch this ministry in process as the nurses really do care for and seek to support the whole person. Some of the patients are Christians and some are not, but the nurses are always sharing the Gospel, reading the Bible to patients, and praying with them.

It's been an unbelievable week or so of home visits, but I'm anticipating that Friday will end up being a difficult day. We'll be visiting a young pregnant girl who is in a pretty bad situation on many levels. Please pray for us as we visit with her, assess her situation, and try to figure out the best way we can love and help her. I imagine that it's going to be a challenging visit, but also a great opportunity to serve and share the love of Christ with this woman in crisis.

Yikes!!! It's been a wild couple of weeks and I imagine it will continue to be so.(sorry, my brain's done and this is all I've got for now...)
Hasta luego!!

No comments:

Post a Comment