Sunday, October 17, 2010

Roots

Well, after a relaxing time at a confrence for Mission to the World missionaries in Mexico, I'm finally back in Cusco for good. In my new world of ever changing circumstances it's good to be in Cusco and be able to start planting some roots.

I'll warn you ahead of time that this is kind of long and may be boring for some, but others have asked about my living situation, so here's the info....

Before arriving here there were lots of unknowns(yes, I know it's just a normal part of life...). One of the things I've wanted to have ironed out asap was my living situation. My boss had opened his home to me and offered that I could stay there as long as I needed til I could find a place of my own. I'm not always a very patient person, so i was determined to find a place the two days I was in Cusco before going to Mexico for a week. God was gracious to me and quickly provided a nice place to live(such a great deal!!). I was able to move into my house the day I came back from the conference in Mexico. Yay!!

Friends on my team were so sweet to take me shopping(directly from the airport) for appliances and other stuff I would need so I could move in right away. So, I am now living in a place of my own. I've discovered that all you REALLY need is a fridge and microwave to get started. Houses or Apartments don't come with any appliances here, so it takes a good bit of work to get a place up and running.

It's a great little place for me. It's a cute little townhouse in a "gated community" on the top of a hill, so it's really quiet and has an absolutely beautiful view of the mountains from my bedroom window. There's plenty of room for me and a cute tiny backyard, which I am so excited about since I like to garden. Other favorite features: lots of windows and skylights upstairs, cute little kitchen, and newly painted walls in my favorite shade of yellow. Another added bonus is that there's a missionary family living just a couple of doors down from me. They have been so sweet to me and have really looked after me since I moved in.

It's been so nice to wake up to complete silence. After living with a family and lots of other students as well, it is so nice for me. Other nice features are that it's just a short walk to the clinic and church. There's also a market close by, which is very convenient if I just want to run over to buy a pigs head right quick.

So, at this point, I'm enjoying setting up the house and making it my own little space. The only think I've disliked about the place is the rat living in the kitchen since day #1. Not cool!! Thankfully, some really kind friends dealt with it for me. Otherwise it's been a nice place to start to plant roots.

No comments:

Post a Comment