Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Ultimo dia...

The next couple of weeks here in Peru will be filled with plenty of fun, fiestas, parades, and lots more. It's an interesting time of the year here in Peru and Arequipa as well. July 28th was dia de independencia for Peru and dia de Arequipa is the 15th of August.

Today's classes were a bit different than normal(this is a bit late in being sent...I'm in the process of catching up a bit....). We had a Peruvian culture day in which heard a bit about Peru and South America's history, prepared a typical for Arequipa, and also had the opportunity to see a little parade with some cute kids to celebrate Peru. It was fun to see the little kids all dressed up(some of them happy and some of them not so happy...) I really enjoyed hearing about Peru's history as it was much richer than any information I've been able to find in my research of Peru. As I'm here learning the language, I've found that it's just as important for me to become acquainted with Peru's people and history. It was a nice day at school. It was also a good day because it was the last day of school before the school's vacation.

This probably doesn't mean that I'll have a nice long break from Spanish, probably just from the classroom setting. I'll be using the time to go to Cuzco for a while. I'm looking forward to meeting some new people on the Cuzco team and reconnecting with some of the people I already know. It will be my first bus ride in South America. Should be fun... I'm told the buses here are more comfortable than the Greyhound buses in the U.S. and more comfortable than planes too. We'll see when I'm done with the 10 hour trip...

Hasta Luego.

No comments:

Post a Comment